Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Minute Clinic

So, I've had a persistent cough for about three weeks.  Idiot that I am, I've been avoiding going to the doctor despite the insistence of my mother, father, girlfriend, etc.  Yesterday morning, I finally caved and went to one of those Minute Clinics at CVS.  After waiting about two hours to get in ("Minute Clinic" is a very misleading name), I was told that I have low oxygen levels, horrible sounding lungs and that I should go get a chest x-ray because I might have pneumonia.  Awesome.

Whenever I'm legitimately sick or injured, my mother is my first call.  Not because she's going to make me feel better (she won't), but because the woman can get stuff done.

Me: The minute clinic said that my oxygen count is low, they think I might have pneumonia and that I should go get a chest x-ray.
Mom: You need to get that done today.
Me: I've been trying to get an appointment, but it's so late in the day they won't let me do it until tomorrow.
Mom: Let me tell you a bunch of medical complications that can happen from this that can make you DIE IN YOUR SLEEP TONIGHT!
Me: I'm not going to the emergency room and they won't let me have an appointment until tomorrow.  And, did you seriously say I'm going to die in my sleep?!?
Mom: I didn't say you were going to die in your sleep.  I'm just saying there could be complications and you do live alone...
Me: Mom!
Mom: I'll call you back later.  I'm getting you this x-ray within the next hour.

An hour later, I was in the radiology department at Northwestern with a doctor's appointment later in the afternoon.

I could bore you with a bunch of random stories from the day, but the end result was that I have pneumonia and am currently on antibiotics.  I guess my x-ray was fine, but my lungs sound absolutely horrible.

Fun fact: I learned that I have extra-long lungs because I work out so much.  How cool is that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers