Monday, July 18, 2011

Shadowing my dad's sales rep: Day 1

Surgery is fucking insane.  My parents have had their surgery videos on in the background ever since I was a little kid, but seeing it in person is a whole different ball of wax.  My dad's in orthopedics, so there's a lot of sawing, a lot of chipping, a lot of drilling and a lot - I mean A LOT - of hammering.  If you were ever under the impression that replacing a knee is a delicate process, let me assure you that it is not.

All in all, it was awesome.  I know I only saw a small portion of what a sales rep does, but the part I saw was approximately fifty bagillion times better than being a lawyer.  You get to work in an exciting environment, learn about tangible products and dress up in scrubs.  Scrubs!

I know there are several cons to the job (long hours, lots of driving, commission, etc.), but today was cool.  Tomorrow, I'm going to get a taste of the "logistics" aspect of the job, and they assure me it sucks.  I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. I am a former attorney and I work in sales now. It's MUCH better than law, and the money is so much better as well. Plus, you really do have the ability/potential to continue to increase your earnings as time goes on. I'm not in the medical sales field, but that sounds pretty cool. I'm pretty certain the "downsides" or even the logistics side of the job is nothing like the downsides of legal practice. Is this something that is lined up for you or what?

    ReplyDelete

Followers