Thursday, October 29, 2009

CTA Story #2 - Safety First

This time the action occurs at the Chinatown Redline stop.  It was around 8:30pm on a cold and snowy winter evening in Chicago.  Since it was cold, I headed over to the nearest set of heat lamps to wait for my train to arrive.  There was already some guy sitting on the bench, but he looked normal enough, so I sat down next to him.  Mistake.

After about ten seconds of sitting next to him I realize that he's glaring at me and methodically cleaning and changing the blades on a pair of box-cutters.  Awesome.  You know what, you might be right, box-cutter guy.  This does seem more like a one-person bench.  I'll just move way the fuck over there.

I'm not saying the L isn't safe.  I'm just saying that there's a chance someone might kill you with a utility knife.  If you get "unsafe" from that, you must have far stricter views on safety than does the CTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers