Friday, February 5, 2010

Rules be damned

I had a revelation on my way home from work the other day.  That revelation being - rules be damned, I'm doing whatever the fuck I want.

I'm on the L, and, when we get to my stop, we just sit there with the doors closed.  The CTA isn't all that reliable, so this happens sometimes.  Not a big deal.  However, we sit there for a good ten minutes with the doors closed.  Something's up.

My gut instinct in the situation is to pull the emergency release knob and let myself off the train.  However, I have this pesky inner-voice telling me to obey the rules, adhere to social norms, and not cause a scene.  So, I spent ten minutes staring at the emergency release knob, telling myself that I shouldn't just pull it, because it's only to be used in case of emergencies.  What happens next?  We fucking leave! The doors never opened.  I was never given the opportunity to get out.  My train just took the fuck off.

This will NEVER. HAPPEN. AGAIN.

Had I just pulled the emergency open knob I would have been out the door and headed to my condo.  Instead, I took a detour to the southside and wasted an extra half hour of my day.  Next time, I'm going with my gut (Colbert-style), and doing things my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers