Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Cultural Center

I went to the Chicago Cultural Center a few days back.  I suppose you get your first taste of Chicago's "culture" when you have to step over several sleeping bums to actually get in the building, but, once you're in, it's actually pretty cool.

There were a few exhibits to look at, like hand painted posters from Ghana, which were all interesting.  I've been to the Cultural Center before, so I know that they do get some interesting stuff.  For instance, a few years ago they did an exhibit on art inspired by orthopedic surgery which was a fascinating art show.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they have interesting exhibits, but I'm used to any place with "cultural" in the title being full of crap solely dedicated to whatever minority happens to have a strong presence in the city. 

For me, one of the most interesting parts was the Tiffany Dome.  Like I said, I've been to the building before, but I never took the time to just wander around and see the entire building.  As it turns out, there's a lot more to see than random art exhibits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers