Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Job Search

I know I'm usually a once/day blogger, if that, but I can't pass this up.  Below is an email I received this morning regarding an attorney position I applied for with the EEOC.   Look at the number of applicants they received for one position in Chicago.
Thank you for applying for the position of Trial Attorney with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (the "EEOC").  We were overwhelmed with more than 1200 applicants, and appreciate your interest. 

Although your background and qualifications are impressive, we have selected other candidates who more closely met the requirements of the position. 

To learn more about future vacancies with federal agencies, please visit the Office of Personnel Management's webiste at www.usa.jobs.gov.

Again, thank you for your interest in the EEOC.
No, thank you for telling me how many applicants you've had.  Normally, I get pissed off when I'm told that there were other, more qualified, applicants.  I figure someone looked at my resume and thought, "No.  This guy isn't what we're looking for.  At least not compared to this guy who was on moot court!!"  (fuck you, moot court)  But, with 1200 applicants, I'm confident that they picked 10 random resumes, gave those people interviews, and sent the rest this email.  I know that's what I would do.

On a side note, this email should be sent to anyone thinking of going to law school.  Just slip it in with that packet schools send to prospective students.  Like a free t-shirt, only depressing.

4 comments:

  1. That's astronomical! My dad always encourages me to apply for the government as if I could easily get in. He'd say shit like, "you could be making $80-100k, why are you settling for a 40k job?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - every single person even contemplating law school should see this job posting and look at the number of applicants. Lemmings would still apply ("After all, I was an A student in my poli sci courses. Surely, I can repeat this success in law school. Then I'll make law review...")

    When I hear pre-law students say this, I just say to them: "Sure, and I'm going out to my car and bang Renee Zellweger and Salma Hayek in the back seat...at the same time." I just can't let delusional optimism win out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee Zellweger? If I were delusionally optimistic, I'd be hoping for something way better than Renee Zelweger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renee Zelweger is a bit of a woof woof... I'm a chick and I'd want someone better than Renee as well. :P Nando, you crack me up.

    ReplyDelete

Followers