Someone who is forwarding my resume around has asked that I provide him with a cover letter, stating my careers goals, so that he can better direct my resume. This is the hardest cover letter ever. There must have been a time when I had career goals, but I only barely remember what they were. Something about using my philosophy major to specialize in applied ethics and becoming an ethics adviser at a hospital...you can guess how well that turned out. Here's what my career goals have become:
1) I want a salary. Not a good salary. Just a salary.
2) I want benefits. Maybe even dental. It would be pretty cool to be able to go to the dentist.
3) I want a job that can't be done by a high school student. The job description can't say, "high school diploma or equivalent work experience." The thought working that job just depresses me.
4) I want paid vacation time. I don't want to lose money every time I take time off. That kills me.
5) I want reasonable hours. If I'm going to be in some dead-end job that I get no satisfaction from, I'm going home at 5pm.
That's really about it. I'm even flexible about some of those.