Monday, February 1, 2010

Wrong

In my experience, this is how most lawyers answer questions.  It drives me fucking crazy.

Me: I don't understand this.  So, [complicated question about the rights of shareholders in a corporation]
Attorney 4: Yeah, I think that's how it works.
Me: Then, [question about the rights of a 3rd party lender associated with the shareholder]
Attorney 4: Yeah, that sounds right.
Me: But, [question about the liability of each party involved]
Attorney 4: Um...yes.
Me: How do you know?
Attorney 4: Well, you know, corporations...shareholders...they have shares...and 3rd parties...well, they're a third party...so...the lenders, they lend...and...the owners own...and that's how liability arises...and, well, that's why.

Really?  You're seriously just going to agree with me and then make up an answer off the top of your head?  Do you think I can't tell you're making this up?  Aren't you worried about doing it wrong?  I suppose opposing counsel probably has no fucking idea either, so maybe that's not an issue.

God, I hate lawyers.

2 comments:

  1. Does this mean you are no longer pretending that you have a chance at being a lawyer when you grow up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate law students. Today, at my very first trial ever (I lost, thank you), I realized I hate lawyers even more.

    This does not bode well for either of our careers.

    ReplyDelete

Followers