Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Rolling cart v. Revolving door

Maybe I'm just getting old, but there's some stuff I don't feel the need to deal with anymore.  Trying to waddle through a revolving door with a cart full of boxes is one of those things.

The other day, some other clerk and I were both trying to get into the same building with rolling carts.  In this particular building, you can either use the revolving doors or the door that says, "Do Not Open.  For Handicapped Use Only."  The other clerk visibly thought about his two choices and then, intent on obeying the sign, proceeded to inch his way through the revolving door.

I, on the other hand, sailed through the "Do Not Open" door, while receiving a death look from the other guy (who was pretty well wedged in the revolving door as this point).  Yeah, I guess the sign said not to use that door, but I'm pretty sure I don't care.  I'll brave whatever the door-police can throw at me as long as I don't have to look like a retard before I even get into a building.

This kind of reminded me of one of my favorite quotes from my dad.  We were watching some old guy make a bunch of bizarre requests in a restaurant and all my dad said to me was, "I can't wait until I'm so old I just don't give a fuck anymore."  I get that now.

1 comment:

  1. I disobey those signs all the time.

    Sure, if there were wheelchair-bound people trying to get in or out I would use the revolving door, but it is idiotic to struggle through a revolver when an unused regular door (especially one that opens by the push of a button) stands right next to it.

    Another reason places don't want you to use those doors is because they open and close so slowly that it lets a lot of cold air (in the winter...I think sometimes they put up extra "do not use" signs when the weather is cold to REALLY scare people into obeying) into the building as opposed to the revolving door.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete

Followers