Monday, April 12, 2010

Hello, depression

Before heading to court today, I thought I'd already hit my daily low.  I was wrong.  Very, very wrong.

This is today's conversation with another one of my county worker buddies.  I'll call this one "Latoya"

Me: You've got this stuff down.  Everyone else makes this look hard.
Latoya: Of course I have this down.  It's super-duper easy.  I've been doing this for nine years in five different departments.  It's all super-duper easy.  Nine years and I still don't get paid enough.
Me: That sucks.  I don't get paid enough either.
Latoya: I started at $10 and now I'm making $18.  It's bullshit.
Me: This'll make you feel better - I make less than you.  And, I'm technically a lawyer.
Latoya: Ooh, that sucks.  Wow.  I don't even know what to say.  You're a lawyer?  When did you graduate?
Me: 2008
Latoya: I'm about to graduate.  I hope that doesn't happen to me.
Me: Where from?
Latoya: University of Phoenix
Me: Where's the nearest bus for me to walk in front of?  Oh, cool.
Latoya: I still can't believe you're a lawyer and I make more than you.
Me: Believe it.  I bet you get health insurance, too.
Latoya: Wait, do you not...get out!  You don't even get health insurance AND you make less than me.  WOW does that suck!  Wow!

You know things are bad when even Cook County employees feel sorry for you.

1 comment:

Followers