I finally had lunch with the lawyer that the old guy set me up with. He had some helpful suggestions, although he was fairly critical of what I've been doing thus far. (Apparently, I should have hung up my own shingle straight out of law school. That's what a real go-getter would do, at least.)
Here are his suggestions:
1) Hang up my own shingle and take whatever business I can get.
2) Get random certifications.
3) Attend every fucking meeting under the sun.
Here are my responses:
1) In all honesty, I don't know if I'm ballsy enough to do this. I'll admit, it's a good idea; it would give me experience and clients. However, I may not have the knowledge or confidence in my own abilities to pull it off.
2) It's a good idea. I'm working on it.
3) I hate lawyer meetings. They are ridiculously boring and have never done anything for me in the past. But, I guess I can suck it up and start going. Might have to renew my bar association memberships for this...