Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Productivity? What's that?

Let me give you a more detailed glimpse into my average day.  I usually wake up around 7am and work up enough motivation to get out of bed by 7:30am.  My mornings are spent filling in blanks in legal documents and then making copies of said documents or stuffing them into envelopes.  My afternoons are spent standing in line at the Daley Center.  If you don't know what that's like, just imagine spending the afternoon at your local DMV and you'll get the idea. When I get home I work out, watch some crappy television, call my girlfriend and repeat the process the next day, and the day after that, and the day after that, until the weekend comes to end the monotony.  I want to think that the life of an employed lawyer would be a lot different, but I'm afraid that isn't going to be the case.

Anyway, given the current state of my life, I've been looking for ways to be more productive.  At least productive enough that I'm not ashamed to tell people what I've done with my day.  Here's a brief run through of how it's going for me so far.

First, I recently stopped watching crappy TV and started reading again.  Granted, law school killed most of my desire to read, but I force myself.  Now, my nights are no longer spent watching reruns of The King of Queens or Two and a Half Men.  Instead, I read.  And I have to admit I feel much better about myself.

Next, I decided to volunteer at the Shedd Aquarium.  This one didn't go as well.  Apparently, not only can I not get a job, I also can't volunteer.  Seriously, I wanted to clean up fish poop just to spice up my life and was actually turned down.  In case I'm not being clear, I was willing to scoop fish poop for free and was deemed not qualified for that position.  That's bullshit.  I mean, there's bullshit and there's bullshit.  This is the latter.

To recap, so far I'm 1 for 2 on attempts to be more productive.  Well, maybe 2 out of 3.  Oddly enough I actually feel productive having a blog since it requires that I be able to string coherent sentences together.  Next I'm going to look into taking a French class.  It may not be as useful as Spanish but, if you take into account my philosophy and law degrees, I think you know I don't really have a history of doing useful stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers