Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Law Rant Part VI

"Law Clerk" is the most bullshit job one can possibly have.  The job doesn't amount to shit in the real world or the legal world, and it's pissing me off.  It's kind of like the time I spent working in a library in college.  Yeah, it's paying me and passing the time, but nobody really counts that as valuable work experience.  Seriously, is there anyone who cares that I've spent almost three years as a clerk?

Law Firm: Do you have legal experience?
Me: Yes.  I was a law clerk for three years!
Law Firm: I mean do you have any experience as an attorney?
Me: Technically, no.
Law Firm: Not interested.

Normal Job: So, do you have any work experience?
Me: Yes.  I was a law clerk for three years!
Normal Job: What did you do there?
Me: Drafted legal documents, etc.
Normal Job: Um, is any of that applicable to this job?
Me: Yes.  Though we're going to have to stretch the definition of "applicable."
Normal Job: Not interested.

Mom: I don't know why you can't find a job.  You have a lot of education and very valuable work experience!
Me: I know!
Mom: I'd hire you.
Me: I know you would.  Thanks, Mom.

I knew someone had to care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers