Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Talking

I think I've become a difficult person to talk to.  The problem is that there are about eight hours of my day that I simply don't want to talk about, which seriously limits any possible conversations.  This hit me after a recent conversation with my mother.

My mom genuinely wants to hear about my life.  She is my mom, after all.  She's also one of the most stubbornly optimistic people you'll ever meet, she likes to fill up every moment with casual banter and she can usually pry conversation out of a rock.  That being said, she has finally given up asking me about my day.

One year ago
Mom: How was your day?
Me: Pretty bad.
Mom: It can't be that bad.  You've got to focus on the positive!  Tell me what you did today.
Me: I filled in blanks, filed and stood in line.
Mom: Oh, what else happened?
Me: Nothing.
Mom: Oh, come on.  Something else must have happened.
Me: Nope.
Mom: There has to be something.
Me: Nope.
Mom: That can't be all that happened today.
Me: You wouldn't think so.
Mom: No interesting stories?
Me: Do you want to hear about filling in blanks, filing or standing in line?
Mom: Yes!
Me: Sorry, I'd rather not re-live it.
Mom: What happened to thinking positive?!?
Me: I never said I was going to do that.

Recently
Mom: How was your day?
Me: Really?
Mom: ...how's French going?
Me: Pretty good.

Come to think of it, this probably annoys the hell out of my girlfriend, too.  Sorry about that.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you!
    When HSB (Handsome Swedish Boyfriend) asks about my day, I just say "read my blog honey." That usually gives me about 30 minutes of peace and quiet.
    Paralegal Hell

    ReplyDelete

Followers